Possibility of adding ports/74637: New port: news/klibido (GUI Usenet binaries downloader) in time for 4.11 release?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Tue Jan 4 10:45:17 PST 2005

[ Cc: to Bauno, author of klibido ]

I originally submitted this new port (news/klibido, a Usenet
binaries downloader with a very nice GUI and multi-server,
multi-connections-per server capability) about a month ago.

Recently, I submitted an updated port skeleton to include a recent
bug-fix patch from the program's author.  As of this time, the most
recent port skeleton submitted reflects the latest, up-to-date version
of this program.

I'm aware that there are other Usenet binaries downloaders already in
the ports collection, but I must say that, after having checked them
out, none of them are quite as easy, friendly, flexible and *fast* as
klibido.  I do believe it will eventually become the program of choice
in its genre.  In addition, the author and I have been communcating
regularly, and I've found him to be very friendly and communicative,
open to suggestions and quick to respond to bug reports (the program
already seems to have developed quite a following, from what I can
gather), and he appears to be genuinely interested in developing the
program further.  I anticipate great things from him in the future!  :-)

Granted, the program is still in a very early stage of development, and
does crash occasionally, but for the most part, it's quite useable, and
will generally run for a very long time without any problems.  Over the
last month, I've used it with great success to grab gigabytes worth of
binaries from the newsgroups, and in a fraction of the time it would
have taken with *any* other program.

I would strongly urge the overseers of the ports collection to take a
serious look at this program.  Incidentally, the program's author has
already made available on his web site (http://klibido.sourceforge.net/)
two pre-compiled binary packages for FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT which I created
from the port, one for the i386 and one for the amd64 architecture
(sorry, I run CURRENT on both of my machines, so that's all I can
provide; but I'd be happy to assist anyone interested in creating
packages for other FreeBSD versions and/or architectures while we're
still waiting for the port to be committed).

I feel very strongly that klibido will make a very fine and worthwhile
addition to the ports collection, and that it truly does fill a
certain niche that no other program in the collection does in quite the
same way.  Bottom line: this sucker is *fast* (what with its
multi-server, multi-connection capability), and very easy to use.  Just
the thing for any new users we may gain from the 4.11 release, as well
as for current users looking for a binaries downloader comparable
to those available for other platforms.

Need I say more?  :-)

Sincerely (and hopefully!),

Conrad J. Sabatier, klibido port maintainer (if it ever gets committed,
that is!)  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"