a couple of problems with python23 port

Alessandro de Manzano ale at unixmania.net
Fri Feb 25 13:23:34 GMT 2005

Hello!

since port freeze is fast approching, I'ld report some problems I've
found in current port of Python 2.3.x

a) Python 2.3.5 is out since few weeks now, would be nice to have port
upgraded to it ;) (it's still 2.3.4)

b) The main python executable is installed in /usr/local/bin/ as
"python2.3" and not the usual "python".
I don't know if this is wanted (maybe for co-existance with Python 2.4
?) or not, but I know this setup currently "broke" some other ports
since they can't no more find python.
Example, I tried to install mod_python (2.7.11) and its port tried to
download Python 2.4 (probably because it looked for $PYTHONCMD)
A simple symlink between "python2.3" and "python" seems to be enough to
resolve this issue.
Also, AFAIK every python script just look for "python" in #! script
line.

What about a WITHOUT_PYTHON23_NAME knob ? ;)

Many thanks in advance!

--

bye!

Ale