FreeBSD Port: idesk-0.5.6_3

Sascha Holzleiter sascha at root-login.org
Fri Feb 25 00:09:18 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 19:41 +0000, Osmany Guirola Cruz wrote:
> Hi
>  i installed the idesk port and do my configuration files but when i run
> idesk nothing happens no error but no ICONS on the desktop

The problem is most likely the xfdesktop application which draws the
xfce background and manages the "right-click" desktop menu.
Idesk draws the icons onto the root window unfortunately the xfdesktop
seems to be incompatible with such applications, maybe the xfce forum or
mailing list has a tip how to run such applications with it. To test
this you can just kill xfdesktop in a running session after which you
should be able to start idesk and see your icons.
If you don't need the xfdesktop application and prefer to have the idesk
icons you can disable xfdesktop in .config/xfce4/xinitrc .

> then i go to
> the idesk site i downloaded the latest version 0.7 (diferent from the
> port tree)

I'm aware that there is a new version out there but personally I believe
the svg ability of idesk 0.56 one of the best things about it which was
ripped out for versions 0.6 and above. Also the new versions had several
bugs until recently. These versions rather seem to be at beta status.
If the majority says they accept the lack of features and want the
higher version number i'll obey otherwise i would rather wait for a
really stable release and maybe one with the svg feature added back in.

--
  Sascha