FreeBSD Port: frontpage-5.0.2.2623_1

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:53:10 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:33:43 -0800, Joe Rhett <jrhett at meer.net> wrote:
> Why rename the port?  You've fixed the main frontpage port to use the
> rtr-supplied binaries.  Why is mod_frontpage being renamed instead of
> reused?

The www/mod_frontpage port wasn't renamed, as it still exists.  This
port uses sources from "Improved mod_frontpage"  which was an attempt
to replace having to use a patched Apache server (i.e. the old
www/apache-fp port).

With the recent versions of the RTR FrontPage Extensions, no patching
the Apache server was required to use their mod_frontpage module.

Because the new "RTR mod_frontpage" version (www/mod_frontpage*-rtr)
is not compatible with the old "Improved mod_frontpage" version
(www/mod_frontpage).

I did add some features from the Improved mod_frontpage:
  - Allow/Disallow Client to publish with FrontPage Extensions
  - Allow/Disallow Administration of web site with FrontPage Extensions

But I used 2 options (FrontPage [on,off] / FrontPageAdmin [on,off])
instead of 4 options (FrontPageEnable,FrontPageDisable /
FrontPageAdminEnable,FrontPageAdminDisable).

The RTR mod_frontpage module doesn't disable the FrontPage Extensions
(unless the port is compiled with WITH_DISABLED).  The Improved
mod_frontpage defaults to disabling the FrontPage Extensions, until
FrontPageEnable and/or FrontPageAdminEnable are added to the
httpd.conf file.

www/mod_frontpage*-rtr can be made compatible with Improved
mod_frontpage when WITH_MODFP_COMPAT and WITH_DISABLED are used to
build the port.

Scot