Thunderbird no longer viewing http URLs

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 23 20:50:09 GMT 2005

Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
| El Miércoles, 23 de Febrero de 2005 18:53, Joe Marcus Clarke escribió:
|
|>Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

|>|
|>| I make a little mistake.  I build firefox/thunderbird with gnome
|>| vfs support enabled.  Maybe that, if you don't have gconf2 or
|>| libgnomevfs2 installed, external apps settings may work.
|>|
|>| I send a PR about a mozilla uri helper script (now closed).
|>|
|>| In any case, I'll ask gnome@ about:
|>| - merge the uri patch to firefox/thunderbird
|>| - take off the XFT knob
|>| - make gnomevfs enabled in the default firefox/thunderbird build.
|>|
|>| I honest think that this is the way to go, even for non-gnome
|>| users.
|>
|>I'm not so sure non-GNOME users will agree with you here.  I support
|>your first two ideas, but I think making gnomevfs2 a mandatory
|>dependency will piss off a lot of people.  Especially since you have
|>things like:
|>
|>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "firefox");
|>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "firefox");
|>
|>Joe
|>

| The main problem is that, after the uri patch, if you have gconf2
| installed, the network.protocol-handler.app may don't work.

I think it will if you set network.protocol-handler.external.http to
false, and network.protocol-handler.expose.http to true.

| This is only used if mozilla apps can't read gnome registry, and I'm
| sure it doesn't work if you build with libgnomevf2 enabled.

I think it will.

| I'm not sure if the libgnomevfs2 depend is really need, but we allready
| have a knob for this. Maybe better add a knob for only enabled gconf2
| RUN_DEPENDS.

This was for SMB URIs as I recall.

| I'm not talking about take-off the knob, but on change it from 'default
| disable' to 'default enabled'.  People really needing it may build
| firefox without libgnomevfs support.
|
| The gconf based uri helper configuration is the only thing we can 'safe
| document' in a FAQ.

How is that?  What I listed above is "safe" to document.

| Also, the thunderbird->others case is more simple (http, https) that the
| firefox->others case (mailto, news, callto, ...)

Same thing as mailto above.

| Other point in the gconf2 thing is the auto registration.  You launch
| firefox and, if your gconf settings don't point to firefox for http and
| so, a dialog appear to make 'firefox your default browser', changing
| this to point at firefox.

What's your point?  The way Firefox works is to dynamically load the
libraries at run-time if present.  For non-GNOME users that don't want
any GNOME integration can build Firefox with out it, and with some
about:config hacking, get things to work.

I think all of this could probably be solved by coming up with some
clear FAQ documentation.

Joe