latest PHP port causes apache to child pid exit signal Bus error (10)

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Wed Feb 23 10:14:00 PST 2005

> After upgrading php to 4.3.10_2 and apache to 2.0.53,
> I get the following whenever the mail() function in php is called.
>
> Fatal error 'Unable to read from thread kernel pipe' at line 1100 in
> file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = 0)
> [Wed Feb 23 15:52:19 2005] [notice] child pid 93430 exit signal Abort
> trap (6)
>
> so, apache crashes, the page stops loading. This is a major issue
> since we run
> a few phpbb's which email people when a topic is replied to.
> Running FreeBSD 5.2.1
>
> I don't think downgrading php to 4.3.9 is an option, since there were
> major
> security holes fixed in 4.3.10

Php is not thread safe... This is the problem (not apache2). We (the
Caudium Group) has
this problem when we tried to make a SAPI for Caudium which threaded.
Even with makeing
mutexes or whatever the whole server was segfaulting or lock it self
because of non thread safe coding.

If you use php as mod_php with apache2 I recommand you to use
NPM=prefork...

/Xavier
--
Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
President of Kazar Organization : http://www.kazar.net/