FreeBSD Port: ruby18-1.8.2_2

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 22:50:59 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:12:02 -0500, Garance A Drosihn <drosih at rpi.edu>
wrote:

> At 10:59 PM -0600 2/22/05, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Garance A Drosihn <drosih at rpi.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems there are two different issues.
>>>
>>> When it comes to the present port (ruby-1.8.2_2), it compiles
>>> fine on sparc64 if I change one line in the Makefile:
>>
>> Oh, I thought you mean by ruby-1.8.2_1...
>
> The previous port, version ruby-1.8.2_1, compiles and runs on
> sparc64 without any problem.  The present port, (ruby-1.8.2_2),
> will coredump while building unless the following one-line
> change is made.  By "present port", I mean the port that users
> will get when they cvsup the ports collection right now.
>
>>>   .include <bsd.port.pre.mk>
>>> -.if ${OSVERSION} >= 502102
>>> +.if ${OSVERSION} >= 502102 && ${ARCH} != "sparc64"
>>>   RUBY_ENABLE_PTHREAD?=  public demand
>>>   .endif
>
>> This should be no difference with with my patch, because my
>> patch doesn't enable pthread stuff. I removed the pthread
>> stuff because it causes few more troubles.
>
> I do not completely understand what your patch is attempting
> to do.  I just played with it until I had something which
> compiled and seems to work on both sparc64 and powerPC.
>
>>> The patch that I end up with is at:
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/ports/ruby18+mezz+gad_3.diff
>>>
>>> My patch is about the same as your last patch, minus the
>>> patch-ruby-1.6.8-fix-x86_64 file, plus my changes to the Makefile.
>>
>> This is very weird.. Why does sparc64 dislike the -pthread?
>> sparc64 doesn't has libpthread support?
>
> It might not.  I seem to remember that the sparc64 port is
> missing some parts of support for threaded applications.

I had a chat with marcus and he said that he knows that sparc64 is using
libc_r, so I believe that my lastest ruby18.diff should solve your problem
by remove '-lc'.. libc and libc_r can't be coexist; it's same as with
FreeBSD 4.x stuff.

>> [...]  My ruby28.diff is such smaller now.
>
> At this point, I really have no more time for testing this.
> Hopefully your latest patch works as well as you expect it to.

Ok, it's no problem.. I will asking kwm. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team