devel/pcre and WITH_UTF8

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Mon Feb 21 11:14:53 PST 2005

Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:44:47PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>>>Yes, you're right, since there are exponentially many combinations of
>>>options, creating slave ports is not the right way.
>>>We probably need a mechanism [...]
>>
>>Don't overengineer. Slave ports pretty much *are* the right way to deal with
>>this sort of situation - which is that *some* option is too controverse to be
>>either default off or default on. This does not at all imply that you need to
>>translate *every* option there is (or could be imagined) into a slave port.
>

> It depends on what you want to do.  I could split net/gnunet into:
> gnunet-gdbm, gnunet-mysql, gnunet-tdb, gnunet-bdb3, gnunet-sqlite,
> gnunet-ipv6, gnunet-guile, hence we get 7 slave ports and one master
> port.  I bet there are people who would think it would be useful to
> split it into parts, but since all these years I still object to do
> it.
>
> Well, finding another stylish solution instead of slave ports, would
> be very desirable.

	I guess it could be easy to patch OPTIONS to support this.

	We could add a @comment line in the packing list, telling which
	support has been enabled at compile time. That would be easy, but
	only OPTIONS'ized ports could benefit of such a patch (and ports
	that manually add this @comment line).

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at xbsd.org