devel/pcre and WITH_UTF8

Marwan Burelle Marwan.Burelle at lri.fr
Mon Feb 21 08:17:02 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 04:58:32PM +0100, Simon Barner wrote:
> We probably need a mechanism to require compile time options via the
> dependency mechanism.
>
> The following idea just popped into my mind (probably most applicable to
> OPTIONs):
>  - encode the set of chosen options into the package name
>  - enhance the dependency tracking algorithm to accept the installed
>    version of a port if and only if the set of installed options is a
>    super-set of the set of requested options.
>
> Admittedly, this might result in lengthy package names (but that's the
> same if popular combination of options are encoded as slave ports).

Hum, this can break the DEPEND mechanism, actualy it used the
existance of the desired lib/binary and refer to port/package only if
it's not here, so you can satisfy a depency wihtout using ports
... (I'm not sure if it wanted, but it could be usefull ;)

For the port I'm talking about, I can think of a way to test if pcre
has UTF8 support, but not on how to force reinstall.

By the way, would it be simpler to record the build option in
/var/db/pkg ? In fact, ports using "make config" already record option
in /var/db/ports, generalizing this for non-interactive ports could be
a good starting point.

--
Burelle Marwan,
Equipe Bases de Donnees - LRI