devel/pcre and WITH_UTF8

Kirill Ponomarew krion at voodoo.oberon.net
Mon Feb 21 06:51:07 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:29:51PM +0100, Marwan Burelle wrote:
> I'm writing a port for the CDuce language (in fact I've already submit
> a PR, 77342, but since I wasn't awake some comment in pkg-descr and
> Makefile are wrong) that depend on devel/pcre (via devel/ocaml-pcre)
> but it requires that pcre is build with UTF8 supports (cduce will
> build, but won't work, and so the port will stop when trying to
> generate documentation.)
>
> In the version I submited, I recommand to rebuild devel/pcre with
> WITH_UTF8 set (in fact my comments were wrong here, I need to sleep
> befor submiting a port.) But, I see nothing to constraint the build
> process of devel/pcre with this option.
>
> Since pcre is widely used and WITH_UTF8 is not set by default, this
> can be very annoying (you cannot simply try a portinstall lang/cduce,
> if devel/pcre is already installed ... )
>
> I have two question: is there a way to force some options for a port
> depency (that is, if devel/pcre is installed, checked if the option
> was used, and force reinstall if not ... ) ? And, does-it make a
> problem to build devel/pcre with WITH_UTF8 set by default (it is set
> on my system and I actualy encouter no error, but it doesn't proove
> anything.)

If you use sysutils/portupgrade, you can define make arguments in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf in MAKE_ARGS section, see multiple
examples there.

> Another simple question, I send a patch for my PR to the commiter who
> point me the problems of my PR, but is it sufficient or should I
> submit another PR ?

In most cases it's enough, if committer is responsive and has time
to handle your feedback.  If you won't hear any news, send new PR
and point to old PR number in "Description" field.

-Kirill