pkg_add for 5.2.1 no longer working...

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 20 11:32:04 PST 2005

On 2005.02.20 19:20:56 +0100, Bjorn Konig wrote:
> Mark Linimon wrote:
>
> > 5.2.1 was a special case: as has been pointed out, a 'new technology'
> > release.  5.3 is the first stable release on 5.X.  5.2.1 was
> > always intended to have a short support life.  In fact, it
>
> > was intended to have a short development life, as well, but
> > that failed due to it winding up with too many features in it.
>
> First I thought the same, but this doesn't explain why 4.x
> releases won't supported longer than older 5.x releases
> concerning package availability.

It's quite simple: Most mirror sites have limited space, so with many
different architectures which causes each release to take up a lot of
space, there are only room to store so many releases on the mirrors.
So each time a new release is made, an older one has to be removed
from the mirrors (more or less).

Other than that, it's generally a really bad idea to use old packages
since there are very likely to be security problems in them.

--
Simon L. Nielsen