portsperf (bsd.port.mk performance bugs fixed) redux

Brian Fundakowski Feldman green at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 18 02:02:40 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 07:58:24AM +0100, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:59:13PM -0500, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> > Well, guys, it's been a while since the last installment of portsperf.
> > Without further ado, here's a fix that bring port vulnerability check
> > time down from almost two minutes to almost instantaneous (on my
> > machine)!  I was always wondering why ports have been so terribly slow
> > since around some time last year, and a good 2000 pids get recycled
> > just doing "make extract":
> >  <@green_> now:
> >  <@green_> green# time make extract
> >  <@green_> ===>  Extracting for mp3gain-1.3.2
> >  <@green_> => Checksum OK for mp3gain132_src.zip.
> >  <@green_> ===>   mp3gain-1.3.2 depends on executable: unzip - found
> >  <@green_> 0.127u 1.132s 0:01.49 83.8%     108+497k 15+0io 8pf+0w
> >
> >  <@green_> then:
> >  <@green_> green# time make extract
> >  <@green_> ===>  Extracting for mp3gain-1.3.2
> >  <@green_> => Checksum OK for mp3gain132_src.zip.
> >  <@green_> ===>   mp3gain-1.3.2 depends on executable: unzip - found
> >  <@green_> 5.308u 82.765s 1:42.05 86.2%    92+193k 10+0io 12pf+0w
> >
> > Only problem I know of is that on systems with a good enough version
> > of the pkg_* tools, an obsolete and broken version (specifically, on
> > 6.0, a version from a year ago) never reports itself as being obsolete
> > so it can get removed.  The pkg_version -T functionality is broken,
> > then, without a hint to the operator that intervention must occur.
> > Is that why this change hasn't been made already?
>
> Because the patch is not quite correct and can't handle [&%?] chars
> in distinfo ?  Hey, and you even know it :)

Yeah, so I have to ask you to please suspend your disbelief that
there are other things in the patch, and just look at the part
that keeps checking the audit files from spawning 2000 processes
every time ;-)

  <> green at FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \