cvs commit: ports/devel/ccache/files ccache-howto-freebsd.txt.in

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Feb 16 06:39:00 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:47:53PM -0500, Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2005, at 6:24 PM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>

> >On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:28:03 +0000 (UTC)
> >Michael Johnson <ahze at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >

> >>ahze 2005-02-05 14:28:03 UTC
> >>
> >> FreeBSD ports repository
> >>
> >> Modified files:
> >> devel/ccache/files  ccache-howto-freebsd.txt.in
> >How much does it worth to use ccache for building the kernel and system
> >as opposed to -DNOCLEAN and -DNO_KERNELCLEAN ?
> >
> You could always do both.

Would there be any *sense* in that, though? :)  The only reason -DNOCLEAN
speeds up things is that it only rebuilds files that depend on files that
have actually changed.  In that case, I don't see how ccache could help -
if a header file has changed, the C preprocessor output will definitely
not be the same, and ccache will certainly rebuild the file.

The only case in which -DNOCLEAN rebuilds something and ccache finds that
it is just the same in the old version is when a change is committed and
then *immediately* backed out, so that the only difference between the old
and new files is in their $FreeBSD$ tag.  This doesn't happen all that
often, though :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.