mysqltcl

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Tue Feb 15 16:35:15 PST 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 01:10, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I have two questions.  I'm trying to create a new port, and I need to
> indicate a dependency for mysqltcl.  What I've tried fails:
>
> mysqltcl:${PORTSDIR}/databases/mysqltcl
>
> Second question - RUN_DEPENDS+=
> ${LOCALBASE}/bin/dtplite:${PORTSDIR}/devel/tcllib worked.
>
> In the interest of teaching a man to fish rather than feeding him, how did
> you figure this out?  How do you figure out what library name or executable
> to use in the first tuple of DEPENDS?  I've been doing it by trial and
> error, and that's obviously time consuming and inefficient.
>
> Is there a db somewhere that you can look this stuff up in?  Is it in the
> docs somewhere?  Tea leaves?

What you're doing should be ok I think, you could really pick any
binary/library installed by the dependent-on port and even lib versions, e.g.
somelib.5, are only needed if versions matter AFAIK. If you just installed
mysqltcl did you perhaps just not run rehash?

Obviously if you require a package and you know you need lib XYZ from it you'd
add a dep specifically for that, but usually I think all you need is to point
to something (a binary in PATH or a known library) that is uniquely installed
by the port that provides what you need. Perhaps someone can correct me if
this is not so.

If it may turn out to be the issue here: IMO you should not (need to) include
a path in these cases, e.g. ${LOCALBASE}/bin. It should (almost) never be
needed if PATH and lib paths are updated. Something's odd or wrong if it's
needed.

(Please note: I don't use this particular port)

Then again, it might be tea leaves also... The Docs are of course
in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk. They're still in beta though :)

HTH,

Dan