mysqltcl

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Tue Feb 15 16:33:12 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 18:10 -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I have two questions.  I'm trying to create a new port, and I need to
> indicate a dependency for mysqltcl.  What I've tried fails:
>
> mysqltcl:${PORTSDIR}/databases/mysqltcl
>
> Second question - RUN_DEPENDS+=
> ${LOCALBASE}/bin/dtplite:${PORTSDIR}/devel/tcllib worked.

Be careful. If you only use RUN_DEPENDS, make sure your port can be
built without tcllib installed (because RUN_DEPENDS are checked and
installed after the build).

> In the interest of teaching a man to fish rather than feeding him, how did
> you figure this out?  How do you figure out what library name or executable
> to use in the first tuple of DEPENDS?  I've been doing it by trial and
> error, and that's obviously time consuming and inefficient.
>
> Is there a db somewhere that you can look this stuff up in?  Is it in the
> docs somewhere?  Tea leaves?

All the _DEPENDS variables are looking for something - an executable,
file or library - to verify that a particular port is installed.

What they look for and how they look for it depends on the type of
dependency. The porter's handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook has a
reasonably extensive explanation.

When you are trying to find the right file or library name to use in
your _DEPENDS variable, look through the pkg-plist of the dependency to
see what it installs.

ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk has all the answers, even if you have to read for a
while before you get to them.

-Sam