Problem with Exim

Aaron Dalton aaron at daltons.ca
Sat Feb 12 07:26:29 PST 2005

Since upgrading to the latest exim (4.44?) I will occasionally notice I
am not receiving mail.  I will check the server (ps -ax | grep 'exim')
and find that there are dozens of exim processes running (exim -bd
-q30m).  I will do 'exim.sh stop' but that only kills the initial
process and not the others.  If I manually kill all the stray processes,
as soon as I start receiving mail new ones will appear.  If I reboot,
then everything works fine for about 24 hours then it starts to happen
again.  Has anybody else had this happen or does anybody know what might
be causing the problem?  I do run Exim with Clamav and I keep all my
ports updated almost daily.

Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated.
Aaron