portmanager progress?

Michael C. Shultz reso3w83 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 5 16:39:25 PST 2005

On Saturday 05 February 2005 01:32 pm, you wrote:
> Is there any way to see how far along portmanager is and what it has
> left?  I've updated to portmanager 0.2.5_0 and it's been running
> since yesterday afternoon.  Granted there were a few stops to answer
> questions about perl options and such, but still a long time.  I
> noticed that it's rebuilding several ports (namely things like
> kde-graphics) due to them being build with an older point-version of
> perl.  Can't it just point to the new version or must all ports be
> rebuilt if a newer version of a dependency is installed?
>
> This machine is running running 5.3-STABLE and had the installed
> ports updated a week of so ago, so it shouldn't be terribly
> out-of-date.
>
> Thanks for the assistance.

perl was just updated, and nearly everthing depends on it.  I'm
seeing complaints from portupgrade users and portmanager's
users and all I can say is sorry, its beyond my control.

About seeing how far along portmanager is,  you can get a "feel" for
time remaining by doing the following:

tail -f /usr/local/share/portmanager/ports_old.db

It will let you monitor the ports queued up for upgrading

-Mike

ps: I'm cc'ing this to freebsd-ports at freebsd.org for the
benefit of others with the same complaint.