variable data in pkg-message?

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Fri Feb 4 01:42:06 PST 2005

security-check.awk cannot reasonably be expected to figure out that a Python
script that gets installed by my port is a daemon that imports another module
in order to get a class that, when instantiated and a certain method is called,
uses Python's socket.socket() to create servers.

Therefore, post-install, I have a need to print my own security warning, like

===> SECURITY REPORT:
      This port has installed the following files which may act as network
      servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the system.

      %%FOO%%/mydaemond

      If there are vulnerabilities in these programs there may be a security
      risk to the system. FreeBSD makes no guarantee about the security of
      ports included in the Ports Collection. Please type 'make deinstall'
      to deinstall the port if this is a concern.

I need to substitute %%FOO%% with ${BINDIR} in order to have the right path
appear in the message. I can do this easily in my port's Makefile, which will
be fine for people installing the port. But I don't think it's possible to do
this for the people installing the package, because pkg-message is just going
to be displayed as-is.

What should be done?

Thanks :)
Mike