A bit of discussion: Why don't we use a stage?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Feb 1 00:02:45 PST 2005

On Tuesday, 1. February 2005 01:26, Danny Pansters wrote:

> I wonder, are there pressing reasons not to do that (apart from marginally
> more space needed)?

Whether it's so marginal or not depends on the port I'd say. Especially if
this stage were to be in an appropriate place (like /tmp), this will be
problematic.

> Perhaps this is a stupid or bikeshed question but I've
> wondered about this several times. Do I imagine a bigger gain than there
> would be in reality?

I think so. When working on creating or changing a port, you can always
install stuff into a custom PREFIX, then go digging in there for potential
issues - and apply changes you'd think would be useful to the build system of
the port itself (and it's really easy enough to do that - at least I never
wished for a staging area to mess around in).

However - the biggest reason there isn't a staging area is that there is none.
It should be pretty straightforward to implement this by setting PREFIX, if
you feel like hacking bsd.port.mk and submitting a PR with the results, feel
free to go ahead.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org