HEADS UP: MFC of local_startup changes to rc.d complete

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 29 12:04:52 PST 2005

Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> El Lunes, 26 de Diciembre de 2005 09:53, Doug Barton escribió:
>> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>>> But this doesn't solve the real problem.  We've lost a reference
>>> model about rc and the interaction with the base system and ports.
>> I'm not sure what that last sentence means.
>>

> Form our old rc system, to the initial import from NetBSD, to what we
> have now in HEAD.

Well, if you think it's important, please feel free to write this up and
submit it. I'm not sure what value it would have.

> A lot of things has been changed, an now, it's really hard to get an
> idea about the boot process and the order used to launch the
> components.

See below.

>>> - some kinda of style for ports/system rc scripts
>>> - some docs about keywords and stage support
>> As I said in one of my recent heads up messages, man rc(8).
>>

> As far I know, rc(8) depends on the FreeBSD version used.

Yes, of course. So for any given system, you have an approximation of what
you are looking for.

 > I doubt
> RELENG_4_11 rc(8) may be enough.  This kind of information must be on
> the porter's handbook.

Feel free to submit these patches as well. Also, since this new facility is
not going to be MFC'ed past RELENG_6, changing the REQUIRE lines in the
scripts won't have any effect on earlier systems.

>>> - some kinda of timeline model
>> Timeline for what?
>>

> To guess the keywords to use for the rc script.

Ah, got it. You can get a good start on that by doing:

rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/*

Once we get a better handle on where the key points for ports are, we'll add
something to rc(8). Right now, it looks like anything that is going to run
as part of the system it should REQUIRE: DAEMON, if it is something that is
going to start as a user, it should REQUIRE: LOGIN.

hth,

Doug