Can we discontinue the databases/db2 port?

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:58:51 PST 2005

On 12/23/05, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> after a recent bug report against various databases/db* ports that asked
> for consistency across these ports, I checked who is still using the
> ancient (not to say obsolete) db2-2.7.7 port. I found these five
> port|summary|maintainer tuples:
>
> $ grep -h db2-2.7 /usr/ports/INDEX{,-5,-6} | cut -d\| -f1,4,6 | sort -u
> amy-0.8.7|A chess program for playing and analyzing games|thorsten at tgreiner.net
> neotcl-8.2.2_2|The NeoTCL part of NeoWebScript -- an Apache TCL mod|mi at aldan.algebra.com
> neowebscript-3.3_2|Embeds a TCL8 interpreter in the Apache server|mi at aldan.algebra.com
> pks-0.9.6|PGP Public Key Server|gtodd at bellanet.org
> qtstalker-0.28|Commodity and stock market charting and technical analysis|lioux at FreeBSD.org
>
> Can these five packages use a newer BerkeleyDB version such as db3 (3.3
> actually) or one of the db4* packages? If so, we could discontinue and
> remove the db2 port.

I'm working on converting all the ports that use db* to work with the
new USE_BDB variable from Mk/bsd.databases.mk.  I have already
converted the above ports (except neowebscript, as it doesn't directly
depend on db2) to use the USE_BDB variable.  I tried to compile them
with newer versions of db*, but the compilation failed. Someone would
need to either patch them or check if their is an upgrade which
supports a newer version of db*.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.