[Mpd-users] Tuning kernel for mpd

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 07:28:21 PST 2005

On 12/23/05, Ezequiel O. Block <ezequielb at pilar-ciudad.com.ar> wrote:
> Andrew P. wrote:
> > Dec 16 16:06:00 gw mpd: mpd: pipe: Too many open files in system
> > Dec 16 16:06:00 gw mpd: mpd: fatal error, exiting
> >

> I got it too, I could solve it out setting kern.maxfiles=100000 in
> /boot/loader and rebooting. With this I have 800 ng interfaces over two
> nics. (Im on 4.10, maybe 6.0 is different, dunno.)
>
> Under high load (traffic), I have seen some errors about running out of
> mbuf buffers, I have no longer the logs to tell you the exact error, but
> a kern.ipc.nmbclusters="32768" did the job. You can monitor this with
> netstat -m
>
> Now it serves 200 simultaneus PPPoe users at 30% cpu usage, connected to
> two cisco routers, one with 4Mbit and the other 2Mbit to the outside
> world, doing ipfw to route them. It´s a P4 2.2 with 256 RAM.

Good tips, thanks! I'll test it next week.

There's also kern.maxfilesperproc, I'll try to increase it, too.

BTW, it's quite a load (30%) for such a high-spec box and
such small bandwidth. Do you compress/encrypt anything?
We've got only 2Mbit now (4Mbit soon), but traffic from some
file servers is also going through the gateway.

It's a P4 2.4GHz 256Mb box and I actually expected it to
pass over 100Mbit (it's on a local gigabit backbone) through
ethernet, pptp and pppoe.

Thanks a lot!
Andrew P.