Time to strictly define pathes for webapps ports?

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd.ports at melvyn.homeunix.org
Sat Dec 17 15:45:35 PST 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 22:24, Clement Laforet wrote:

> As many of you have noticed, I changed default DocumentRoot in
> apache22, and some users considered I violate POLA (PR ports/90418
> [1], arved's weblog [2]), and I perfectly understand.
> Currently web apps, or web frontends are installed where maintainer
> wishes:
> - ${PREFIX}/www/(data|cgi-bin|etc.)
> - ${PREFIX}/www/${PORTNAME}
> - ${PREFIX}/share/${PORTNAME} (aka ${DATADIR})
> etc...
>
> It's pretty messy. IMHO, it's time to fix this hole in our hier.

That's mostly because not all webapps require webaccess (smarty for one), but
if you wanna solve this problem, then you're also posing this hier on the
webapps, which can be problematic, since they're all moving to browser-based
installers and upgraders who can't deal with seperated paths.
Take for example Gallery2:
- it uses smarty, but comes with it's own (non-modified) version
- half of it doesn't belong in a docroot
- everything will stop working if you properly seperate it, because it's coded
that way.

www/rt is another good example of a package that has publically accessible
routines, things that need cgi and things that need to be outside webaccess.

However, if there's a fixed hier for *_PUBLIC, *_CGI, *_SHARE it is clear for
everyone involved and packages might just tailor towards it.

FYI: it's a non-issue for me too, because I only use apache's docroot for
localhost and the ports system can't deal with 2 instances of a given package
with different PREFIX (or DOCROOT if you will) to begin with, so you use the
Alias route or "install" from tarbal and use apache's default docroot for
testing before upgrading.
--
Melvyn Sopacua
freebsd.ports at melvyn.homeunix.org