release 6.0 problems - xorg, mysql

dR dystopianrebel at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 08:57:42 PST 2005

I'd been using 5.4 without any problem on my server.
I'm having the worst time with 6.0 (clean install).

X ran well under 5.4 with minimal fuss. But not in
6.0. Xorg -configure seems to generate a valid
xorg.conf.new, but when I test it with Xorg -config
xorg.conf.new, I get a screenful of barf and the
computer will not respond to the keyboard. If I don't
run Xorg -configure but just startx (fluxbox), I get a
usable screen but it's only 1024x768.

MySQL versions 3.x and 41 don't seem to be correctly
configured for FreeBSD. When I try to
build/install/run one of these, I see in the error log
that ./mysql/host.frm could not be found. This file is
certainly on my disk, but in /var/db/mysql/mysql/. I
did a straight make and make install from each port
directory without noodling with anything. Am I missing
something or is there a serious problem?