Proposal for an additional (sub)section in the porters handbook

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 5 02:47:30 PST 2005

Alexander Leidinger píše v po 05. 12. 2005 v 11:29 +0100:
> Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Alexander Leidinger píse v po 05. 12. 2005 v 09:40 +0100:

> >> Ah! Pav, did you referenced to this as being "political" as well? I thought
> >> you talked about the "benefits"-list. Ok, I will change this.
> >
> > Possibly.
> >
> > I have an experience that every extra sentence equals to a percentage of
> > readers not reading the text at all. Thus, I prefer to keep the texts in
> > Porter's Handbook down to the minimum, while saying everything
> > important.
> >
> > Think law book. You don't justify the rules in the law book. You just
> > say this will be done, this can be done, this is prohibited.
>
> Uhm... now I don't know where to go. If we talk about a law book I prefer to
> talk with "must" and "must not" instead of "should" and "should not". My
> main motivation to not use "should" is the way a "should" is handled in
> RFC's. It's a "you do *not* have to care about this", but the intend of this
> additional section is "you *have* to care about this".

Yeah, this is not an RFC, thanks god. You can put "We really like to see
a static plist whenever feasible." and no one is gonna sue you about it.

It's all about the fun and games, in the end, right? This is not worth
hard policy and fighting. But it's good to have an official doc in hand
to beat lazy maintainers over the fingers with.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

A cow is a sphere that emits milk into all directions.
At least to a first approximation.
  -- An unknown physicist