Proposal for an additional (sub)section in the porters handbook

Mon Dec 5 00:02:49 PST 2005

Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> Comments please.
>
> Drop all the political arguments, pros and cons, they don't belong into
> PH. Just talk about the policies. This is a reference book, after all.

I think about them as technical arguments, not political arguments. And I
think they should be mentioned somewhere. Mentioning them in the commit log
would be ok for me.

> Are the terms "static / dynamic / install-time / commit-time" something
> which was recently made up? Because when someone says "dynamic plist",
> I think your "install-time" instead.

In the referenced thread on ports@ I used "dynamic" instead of
"install-time". But this was ambiguous, since plists with variables
(%%FOO%%) are "variable" or "dynamic". So I decided to try to provide an
unambiguous way of referencing the possible kinds of plists.

> I'd not differentiate between "static" and "dynamic" at all. That would
> also drop "commit-time".

I understand what you mean, but I think my current description may help those
people which are not very familiar with the english language. Better a little
bit nore verbose, than confusing (and if my native language teacher would
have heared this from me, he would have been speachless... back in school he
was used to very short essays from me, so I think we should really make this
distinction).

> Otherwise I agree with the proposed document.

It was pointed out to me, that I have some spelling typos and maybe mixed
dynamic and static in one case. I haven't looked at the corrected version he
send me, but are you willing to add or review the necessary markup and commit
it to the handbook?

Bye,
Alexander.

Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology.
		-- R. S. Barton