mozilla/firefox libglib-2.0.so.600 missing

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:56:34 GMT 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 05:25, patrick at spacesurfer.com wrote:
> WOW, portmanager really is great. Sorted out my mozilla problems and also
> let me do all sorts of stuff with ports that I have been wanting to be able
> to do for ages! I love the status and leaves features, very usefull.

Nice to hear it worked for you. :)

> I do have a suggestion for a future version. It would be nice if I could
> install a list of ports. So for example take the output of pkg_info from
> one OLD machine to produce a LIST of packages. Then use a portmanager
> switch to install all those packages on a NEW machine. It would be good if
> I could also specify a /var/db/ports/ directory for the ports to be
> installed so that I could copy the /var/db/ports directory to the NEW
> machine and use those options just to build and install the missing
> packages from the LIST.
>
> Just a suggestion, but as it stands portmanager is already very usefull.
>
> Patrick

As far as your suggestion here is one of my own, assumes both machines use
same FreeBSD version and same CPUTYPE?= in /etc/make.conf:

A) When updating or anything add the -bu switch, this will cause portmanager
to build packages of what it upgrades or installs.

B)  Copy everything in /usr/ports/packages, /usr/ports/distfils, /var/db to
the new machine.

C) I think this will work, but its out put would be ugly, on the new machine
first try: cd /usr/ports/packages/All && pkg_add *.  If that doesn't work (I'm
not sure if pkg_add will accept wild cards like that) then feed all of the
packages to pkg_add with a script.  What will happen is packages with many
dependencies will use the dependency packages, then when the dependency
package comes up it will complain of being installed allready and not install,
so what, its in there allready...

d) Because you copied everything in /var/db the new machine knows what ports
(from /var/db/pkg) are supposed to be installed, and their blue screen options
as well (from /var/db/ports), just run portmanager -u -p on the new machine
and it will fix any holes. (likely to come from ports that won't allow
packaging)

Above is essentially the way I trouble shoot problems now, less the packages.
All I do on difficult bug reports is have the person reporting send a copy of
their /var/db directory and the version of FreeBSD they are using, from there
I can duplicate on my machine what they have on theirs.

-Mike