FreeBSD 4.11 + Apache 2.0.54

mworld mworld at rom.no-ip.com
Thu Aug 25 03:04:09 GMT 2005

Hi. I have a server with FreeBSD 4.11 on it and Apache 2.0.54. SSL is active.

The Setup:

There is another apache running on one ip ( with listen ip:80 and listen ip:443 ) and the main apache is listening on 13 other ips. The configuration has 296 vhosts most of them on one ip and some with static ips for ssl. They all use Rotatelogs for one of their log files.

The Problem:

Adding just one more listen ip:80 to httpd.conf or one more vhost causes apache to either 'bus error' or 'core dump'. I have tested this on my local FreeBSD 5.4 and I cannot reproduce the error. My guess is there is not enough resources somewhere for apache to start. Perhaps a socket buffer or something ? Has anyone come across this kind of error or has any advice on possible solutions ? Thanks.

Regards,
Otto.