Needed: compat5x package

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Fri Aug 19 20:50:54 GMT 2005

Hiroki Sato wrote:

> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote
>   in <20050819160949.GA29051 at xor.obsecurity.org>:
>
> kr> Can someone please volunteer to work on this?  The compat4x port
> kr> should be a useful starting point for this - you could fetch the
> kr> library "sources" by downloading the appropriate 5.4-RELEASE tarballs.
>
>  I am afraid I do not have enough time to create it now, but I have
>  a simple one which includes the bumped shared libraries and locale files.
>  It is available from:
>
>   - port skeleton:
>
>       http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x.tar.gz
>
>   - distfiles:
>
>       http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-alpha-5.4.tar.gz
>       http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-i386-5.4.tar.gz
>       http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-ia64-5.4.tar.gz
>       http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-pc98-5.4.tar.gz
>       http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-sparc64-5.4.tar.gz
>
>  I guess this may need some more work but it works.  Any comments are
>  welcome.
>
>  Also, I have a request for compat5x which I did not include into my
>  prototype yet---rebuilding libc.so.5 with
>  _PATH_LOCALE=/usr/local/share/compat/locale in paths.h and make the old
>  binaries use the old version of LC_* files
>  included in the package.  This is because incompatibility of on-disk
>  format of LC_* files is a big hurdle especially for people in Asian
>  countries, who heavily depend on setlocale(3) when they upgrade their
>  system from 5.x to 6.x.

I have also been playing with this a bit and came up with similar result:
http://agrajag.ijs.si/tinderbox/stuff/compat5/compat5x-port.tar.bz2
It uses misc/localedata port for locale files as does compat4x though.

One thing to consider is how to get these libraries. If they are taken from
5.4 release tarballs then there is problem with locale above and at least
problem with libz and FreeBSD-SA-05:18.zlib vulnerability. One possible thing
to do is to build RELENG_5_4 with the change to paths.h above and take
libraries from there and generate tarballs (which is what I did for this
sample except I took RELENG_5). If that makes sense I can do it for alpha,
amd64, i386 and sparc64.

Dejan