bsd.database.mk suggestion

Vsevolod Stakhov vsevolod at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 9 09:18:50 GMT 2005

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Vsevolod Stakhov wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think bsd.database.mk is now more or less ready. But I want
>> to listen your comments about it. Now I've moved all mysql/pgsql
>> related stuff from bsd.port.mk to bsd.database.mk and added
>> bdb handling and sqlite dependency.
>

> A symantics for variables is differ. I'm not sure it's a good thing.
> E.g.
> USE_MYSQL - yes|undefined
> WANT_MYSQL_VER - mysql version a maintainer wants
> WITH_MYSQL_VER - mysql version an user wants
> The same for PostgreSQL.
>
> But you use USE_DBD_VER= yes|version.
> USE_DBD_VER=yes is weird.
>
> <IMHO>
> I dislike _VER suffix for USE_FOO.
> Well, I dislike WANT_FOO too. I think it's a surcharge.
>
> I like this scheme:
> USE_SOMEDB=  yes|version

Yes, I like this too. But it can confuse those people that are
common to mysql/pgsql semantics. On the other hand bdb differs
from mysql/pgsql as its version are not conflicting. So
things like USE_BDB= yes and WANT_BDB_VER are not a good idea.
USE_BDB= yes|version sounds nice, I think.