The right way to depend on a package's extra feature

Vasil Dimov vd at datamax.bg
Fri Aug 5 07:44:53 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:24:12AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> I.e. I have both devel/svk and devel/subversion installed. Now, I need
> devel/subversion because other software depends on it, so I build it
> with perl bindings by myself. However, devel/svk insists on depending
> on devel/subversion-perl because it wants the perl bindings -> not
> good...

Hmmz, devel/svk should find ${SITE_PERL}/${PERL_ARCH}/SVN/Core.pm
(installed by devel/subversion with perl bindings) and not insist on
depending on devel/subversion-perl...

> I don't see a way out except extending the DEPENDS mechanism with
> optional flags, or at least checking of /var/db/ports/*/options
> (for OPTIONS enabled ports).

extending the DEPENDS mechanism is what I thought also...

looking for /var/db/ports/*/options is not universal, because a lot of
ports have WITH_SOMETHING without defining OPTIONS.