leaner and meaner www/firefox

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Aug 3 19:37:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:12:01 -0500, Mikhail Teterin
<Mikhail.Teterin at murex.com> wrote:

>> package (pkg_add), wouldn't you get error when run apps for can't find
>> link foobar.so.5 when you have foobar.so.4? I don't use package, but
>> wouldn't package (without library version in Makefile) failed to check
>> for
>> need foobar.so.5 and go ahead install it because there was no library
>> version info? With the library version would check and give the error
>> earlier.
>
> No... See bsd.port.mk's cvs log:
>
> revision 1.424
> date: 2002/09/19 00:16:39;  author: kris;  state: Exp;  lines: +72 -39
> [...]
> * [1] Registering real dependencies: dependency registration looks at the
>   currently-installed version of the dependency and registers that
> version,
>   instead of registering the version in ports which may be newer than
>   what is installed.
> [...]
>
> (I recall pushing for this and submitting my own version of this change,
> but
> sobomax was part of portmgr and I was not...)

Either above still doesn't explain clear or I don't understand it clear.
Register version of what?  PORTVERSION or library? If it's library, then
how does it check if Makefile doesn't has any of library version? It said,
'dependency registration looks at the currently-installed version of the
dependency and registers that version'. What about that
currently-installed (without have library version in Makefile) has
foobar.so.4 but that new package (without have library version in
Makefile) registered on currently-installed, but it still needs
foobar.so.5?

> Try it and let's get this one over with...
>
> 	-mi

FreeBSD GNOME Team