Upgrading packages using binaries

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen freebsd.nospam at mekanix.dk
Wed Apr 27 07:53:32 PDT 2005

Hi

I'm having some trouble upgrading my packages; haven't done so since february.
I know the "correct" way to update packages using binaries is to cvsup your
portstree and run portupgrade -RPP, but I don't get far with this.

The problem as far as I can tell is, that the portstree and
ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/All/ aren't in sync.

portupgrade does have a fallback and will install the latest version vailable
from ../Latest/ and this is most often enough. This should in theory just
give me the latest binaries available at the FreeBSD mirrors.

But it isn't "foolproof". An example is pkgconf, the latest version on the
mirrors is 0.15 while many ports *requires* 0.17.2. So portupgrade quits.

My question: is there any way to upgrade packages to the latest available
version on the mirrors and/or a way to cvsup the portstree to the version the
binary packages have been built from?