www/opera: Could not start plug-in executable 'operamotifwrapper'

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 01:13:31 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:03:47 -0500, Ion-Mihai Tetcu
<itetcu at people.tecnik93.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:58:30 -0500
> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:42:03 -0500, Ion-Mihai Tetcu
>> <itetcu at people.tecnik93.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> > For reasons I am yet to understand I get the following message when
>> > starting the new Opera 8.0. Changing the plug-in path to
>> > /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins where operamotifwrapper-3 is actually
>> > installed, the plug-in path order, symlinking, starting with the old
>> > ~/.opera
>> > etc. does not fix the problem. The most disturbing results are core
>> > dumps and ~5 minutes disk-intensive start time.
>> >
>> > -----------
>> > Opera encountered a problem during plug-in setup.
>> > Plug-ins will not work properly.
>> > Check your installation.
>> >
>> > Could not start plug-in executable 'operamotifwrapper'.
>> > /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/operamotifwrapper-3
>> > Please install Motif.
>> >
>> > Plug-in path
>> > (Path can be modified in Preferences dialog)
>> >
>> > /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins
>> > /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
>> > ------------
>> >
>> >  # pkg_info -R open-motif\*
>> > Information for open-motif-2.2.3_1:
>> >
>> > Required by:
>> > kdegraphics-3.4.0
>> > teTeX-3.0
>> > ted-2.17
>> > xdvik-tetex-22.84.8_1
>> > xpdf-3.00_6
>> >
>> > uname:
>> > 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #8: Mon Apr 11 06:36:26 EEST 2005
>> >
>> > Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>> I don't think you can use plugin when you have open-motif built in
>> FreeBSD
>> 5.x and www/opera binary was built in 4.x. Bug Opera developer for
>> build a
>> different version for FreeBSD 5.x.
>
> Yeh and that .x stands for .6 I think. Hmm, I was wondering how does it
> owrk and it used to work until this last version.

It's because Opera 7.x used to depend on libXm.so.2 when FreeBSD doesn't
has it for years. It's why you never have the problem, because the plugins
wasn't work and disabled. The Opera 8.x has finally move to libXm.so.3 and
the plugins works. You can see my comment:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1085936+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2004/cvs-all/20040801.cvs-all

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team