Cacti..

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:44:41 PDT 2005

On 4/25/05, Haulmark, Chris <chris at sigd.net> wrote:
> Is this port supposed to overwrite the include/config.php.
>
> What I did was set up a virtual host in apache's httpd.conf to point to
> /usr/local/share/cacti and then when it was time to upgrade cacti...doing
> that caused mysql permission errors.  A quick fix was done by restoring the
> mysql settings in include/config.php.
>
> I thought that ports files were to be checked via md5 sums to make sure it
> was the original and then it would be overwritten unless it was modified.

When you delete a port, it checks the md5 sum of the file, and if it
doesn't match it might leave the file.

When you install the port, the port will overwrite the config file,
unless the port maintainer has identified the configuration files, and
made changes to the ports sources to install the file with an
extension (i.e. -dist, -sample, ...), and then makes a check to see if
the file without an extension (i.e. -dist) exists, and if it doesn't
then copy the file wiwth the extension to the original file name.

You could try to create a patch to address this problem (and send PR
it), or ask the maintainer to fix the port to not overwrite the
configuration files.