splitting courier-authlib into master+slave ports

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Sun Apr 24 03:42:57 PDT 2005

El Domingo, 24 de Abril de 2005 10:13, Milan Obuch escribió:
> On Sunday 24 April 2005 09:33, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> > > as a port or as a package? I've installed now all ports as
> > > package and it looks like everything works as well. Of course,
> > > the functional test I can only do with the vchkpw/vpopmail
> > > interface. Used with courier-imap and sqwebmail. As far as I can
> > > see, it works.
> > >
> > > Anything left?
> >
> > At last here, one potential problem arise:
> >
> > courier-authlib-base doesn't have any passwd components.
>
> ... which I consider to be good. It should be possible for user to
> select which one he wants.

I don't think so.  A common user expects couier-authlib be capable of
reading system passwd 'out of the box'.  The rest must be selectable.

> > I think we must take off courier-authlib-pwd and
> > courier-authlib-pam and direct build courier-authlib-base with pam
> > support.
>
> I do not agree here. To me this new design is better. I am building
> mail servers with virtual hosting and I do not want any unneeded
> components installed. Even small ones.

You may take out small component, but this is a system component.

> > This makes courier-authlib-base a good substitute of
> > courier-authlib in dependencies.
>
> For this particular problem, we should add a message telling 'no
> authentication module installed'. I see here just one problem - base
> port/package needs to be installed first, so this test will go to all
> ports depending on courier-authlib... Or maybe after installing base
> port we could just test the presence of options for meta port, and if
> this file/directory does not exist, issue a warning message to the
> user. This way we can even add confirmation request to the user.

This may fullfill your needs, but is a really ill system design.  This
will end with courier-imap and so depends on courier-authlib-pam to
gets a minimal working setup.

I think that this is better:

                --without-authcustom \
                --without-authshadow \
+                --without-authpwd \
+                --with-authpam \

> To me this should be enough. If someone reads this message, he/she
> should understand without authentication module every attempt fails.
> If someone does not read install messages, well, we can't do anything
> for him... Milan

And you can't to disable authpam load in authdaemon to fullfill your
needs.  Or are you able to do this without too much effort?

Well, can we route the PRs to you? I Expect 'some mail' if
courier-authlib can't read system passwd 'out of the box'.

--
  josemi