mplayer/mplayer-plugin question

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri Apr 22 14:43:06 PDT 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 20:21, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:01:30PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > You should forward this information to the freebsd-ports list.  I'm sure
> > they'd like to know this, because it's abnormal design.  The conf file
> > *should* be in /usr/local/etc and there *should* be a pkg-message file
> > that tells the installer what to do post-install.
>
> 	At least a symlink to /usr/local/etc, and the post-install note.
> 	This brings up the qauestion of the Powers-that-Be creating
> 	symlinks to /etc/local (as a min) and /etc/X11R6.  (Should *ANY*
> 	non-system GUI have its conf in /etc/X11R6/etc?  ... [*mumble*])
>
> 	gary

No, and in fact it would be better if /usr/X11R6 were a hard link
to /usr/local, but this never happened. The /usr/X11R6 came into life because
of X IIRC and then got adapted by some X apps and then by gnome. So now we're
stuck with two "3rd party software" trees/prefixes.

It's indeed bad IMHO, but I'm sure that everytime there were also good reasons
to keep the /usr/X11R6 (for one thing: it's a dist).

My EUR 0.02,

Dan