mixing portupgrade with sysinstall safe?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 22 06:56:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 14:44 +0100, Eliot Earle wrote:
> Depends on your definition of "good idea" I guess.  I find that having
> added gcc3.4 via sysinstall prior to upgrading from fbsd 4.something to
> fbsd 5.3, I am now stuck with two versions of the damned thing, and
> can't figure out for the life of me how to get rid of the ancient
> version which it seems as though the system is intent on using.
>
> spadge at tobermory$ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728
>
> spadge at tobermory$ where gcc
> gcc-3.4.4_20050415 is in lang/gcc34

Use "pkg_info gcc\*" to list all installed versions, then "pkg_delete"
with the full version you want to remove.  Beware of packages/ports
which might have registered dependencies on it (although there shouldn't
be any in this case, one would hope).

> Where do sysinstall-ed packages keep their info, so I can remove it?
> It's not the same thing as a pkg-add at all, is it?

It is identical to pkg_add (in fact, it *is* pkg_add).

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon univ.         KF8NH