splitting courier-authlib into master+slave ports

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Wed Apr 20 23:57:42 PDT 2005

El Jueves, 21 de Abril de 2005 01:48, Yarema escribió:
> --On Wednesday, April 20, 2005 21:44:11 +0200 Jose M Rodriguez
>
> <josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es> wrote:
> > El Wednesday 20 April 2005 20:27, Yarema escribió:
> >> FWIW I'd like to weigh in with my opinion.  I think this move to a
> >> meta port just so we can have OPTIONS selectable dependencies does
> >> little to improve usability.  As I've argued before in an email to
> >> Oliver there's little need to have more than one
> >> courier-authlib-method port installed unless one is transitioning
> >> from one auth-method to another or just experimenting.
> >
> > Maybe,  but you can trust me in this:  have the base port and the
> > components selector in the same place it a bad design.
> <snip/>
> >
> > We have a FreeBSD supported version without a pam library?  I think
> > no.
> >
> >> The authpwd module is also documented in the same README to use
> >> "the C library's getpw() functions" which in turn are documented
> >> to be made "made obsolete by getpwuid(3)" in the FreeBSD getpw(3)
> >> man page.
> >>
> >> So given the above two citations from both courier-authlib docs
> >> and FreeBSD's docs why not just do away with authpam being
> >> optional and make it the default part of the base package?
>
> Yes, we do have "a FreeBSD supported version without a pam library"
> installed if only the base port is installed.  I made this happen to
> for the sake of completness and now I'm presenting arguments that it
> is a bad idea.  Thing is that the courier-authlib port, as it is
> committed NOW, will install the no PAM version "libauthpwd.so.0" if
> NONE of the OPTIONS are selected.  Yet the PLIST in the current
> version does not include "libauthpwd.so.0".

No. It isn't the base port, it's the base system.  I think that
courier-authlib-base _must_ have pw/pam auth without options. Only
select what type by libpam presence or OS_VERSION.

Remember, this is about split in binary-compatible ports + metaport.  No
options or knobs may live in courier-authlib-base or
courier-authlib-<method>.

Only the courier-authlib metaport will have this.

I can't work on this until weekend, but I'll try to have a candidate on
sunday.

--
  josemi