Ports version upping policy?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri Apr 15 06:50:57 PDT 2005

On 15 Apr 2005 at 14:17, Florent Thoumie wrote:

> Le Vendredi 15 avril 2005 à 08:12 -0400, Dan Langille a écrit :

> > > That's nice. But what I would like to see is an icon for the mainpage
> > > where all recent commits are shown. That way, when Kris goes into
> > > broken-spree next time, one can easily guess if the port is maintained
> > > (and will be fixed by the maintainer) or if it is unmaintained and one
> > > should probably submit a PR oneself.
> > >
> > > Right now, we have:
> > >
> > > [Time Committer] Link-to-Commit-Message
> > > name version category another-link {broken|restricted|vulnerable|...} descr
> > >
> > > How about adding a red 'U' to that list (similar to 'R' in restricted)
> > > if maintainer == ports at freebsd.org ?
> >
> > That's easy enough to add.  If someone finds me a really nice U, I'll
> > add it in.
>
> 	I'm not sure you'll find a nice 'U' or that people will
> 	understand that it means "unmaintained". I can propose a red
> 	cross so that people will think "oooh poor port, I wish I could
> 	take care of it" or maybe a larger image saying "adopt a port
> 	today !".

They will understand what the U means, just like they will and do
understand the R. Explanations are included in the FAQ, and mouse
hover text explains it.

The icons should be similar in size to existing icons.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/