mozilla's install hanging on amd64

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Apr 11 09:18:06 PDT 2005

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>>>	/usr/share/examples/etc/defaults/make.conf
>>
>>This file just happens to be an example file, not a documentation piece.
>

> Examples ARE part of documentation. Your attempt to deny this is not only
> wrong, it is AWFUL from all sorts of advocacy and "political" points of view.
> (BTW, it seems, the file is now in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf)
>
> That said, you are not just double, you are triple-wrong. Try the following
> excercise. On the FreeBSD command prompt type:
>
> 	man make.conf	<- and press the Enter key
>
> then press forward slash ('/') key and type:
>
> 	CPUTYPE	<- and press the Enter key
>
> examine the CPUTYPE paragraph. Are man-pages documentation? Ooops...
>

>>>and bsd.cpu.mk -- this is where actual -march=XXX is added to compiler
>>>flags.
>>>
>>>If Mozilla port can't handle this, than it is broken and needs fixing
>

>>Feel free to submit patches to mozilla.org.
>

> We are talking about the _FreeBSD port_ of Mozilla. If, indeed, the trouble
> lies with the -march switch, the port's inability to create a functional
> binary with `-march=opteron' means, Mozilla port remains *broken* -- at least
> on amd64. Whatever fix is found, it will, no doubt, be submitted to Mozilla
> developers, and I know it just as well, as you know, when to press Enter.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> 	-mi
>

>>Scott

I don't really care to argue with you on this.  If you want to be upset
that your special gcc flags don't work, that's your business.  Meanwhile
I'll continue using Mozilla on my amd64 machine.  Please refrain from
making rash commits to the mozilla port in CVS that would contradict
this.  Working on correcting the code generation problems in either
the mozilla source or the gcc source would be a good way to positively
contribute.

Scott