sane-backends-1.0.15 on FreeBSD 5-STABLE (canon_pp/libieee1284 doesn't work)

Rob Pollock rob.pollock at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:32:13 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to get my scanner working on FreeBSD 5-STABLE.  It is a canon 640P
and should work with sane-backends/canon_pp driver (with libieee1284)

It appears there is some problem with detecting the scanner.  I don't know
the exact source of this, I'm hoping someone can help with this (this
relates to ports
because perhaps the config files/build need to be modified in order
for stuff to work).

I posted to the sane-devel mailing list, which has helped to some
extent ,however
it appears there are some FreeBSD-specific issues (see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2005-April/013400.html )

Essentially, sane never sees the scanner and there are a bunch of
timeouts. (see link)

Is there anyone with experience in porting stuff that uses libiee1284
that can help??

Is there anyone working on the sane-backends port that can help???

Thanks in advance,
Rob Pollock.