Using -as-needed in KDE

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sun Apr 10 16:02:45 PDT 2005

On Monday, 11. April 2005 00:43, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Monday, 11. April 2005 00:06, Alexander S. Usov wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Recently I found somewhat strange patch to Mk/bsd.kde.mk :
> >
> > Revision 1.47
> > Globally disable -Wl,-as-needed for all users of USE_KDELIBS_VER.
> > Binaries linked with -pthread and -Wl,as-needed will have all
> > references to libphthread stripped (reason/reasoning unknown),
> > causing funny runtime errors when Qt decides to fire up a thread.

Actually, KDE itself turned off -as-needed by default shortly before KDE 3.4
was branched, since it was causing too many funky problems, so the extra
CONFIGURE_ARGS in bsd.kde.mk is mostly a no-op (except for programs which
ship with an admin-dir from KDE-HEAD on the road to 3.4).

We've put in an honest effort to get things to work with -as-needed during the
the KDE 3.4 shakedown, but the long story short is that the feature is just
too unreliable and causes too many problems. Libpthread also isn't the only
library that ld manages to magically spirit away, it's just the most obvious
showstopper for KDE.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org