Using -as-needed in KDE

Alexander S. Usov A.S.Usov at kvi.nl
Sun Apr 10 15:07:38 PDT 2005

Hi!

Recently I found somewhat strange patch to Mk/bsd.kde.mk :

Revision 1.47
Globally disable -Wl,-as-needed for all users of USE_KDELIBS_VER.
Binaries linked with -pthread and -Wl,as-needed will have all
references to libphthread stripped (reason/reasoning unknown),
causing funny runtime errors when Qt decides to fire up a thread.

Which I find somewhat strange, as I believe that there were reports
of a quite measurable increase in start-up time for KDE applications
due to the use of "-as-needed" linking flag.
As far as I can see there are at least two ways to work around the
issue described above.

The brute-force and dirty solution is to add something like
"-noas-needed -lptread -as-needed" to LDFLAGS.

In a more cleaner way, as it is libqt-mt who needs threading in the
first place, why not link it against libpthread? Additionally this
should solve the problems with qtk-qt-engine, which fails to load
now for non-threaded applications.

--
Best regards,
  Alexander.