Reproducible sig 11 with bash2

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Apr 6 14:45:41 PDT 2005

At 3:01 PM -0400 4/6/05, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I ran in to this odd problem by making a typo. By following the
>below steps, bash2 will exit with signal 11 and dump core. The
>user will get booted out of the system if it is their primary
>shell.
>

>1) Type in ..
>2) Hit Ctrl-D.
>3) Hit the arrow up key, ...
>4) Hit the backspace key ...
>5) Hit enter. Bash will now exit with sig 11.

There is a PR for this, I think.  The problem, as I remember it,
is a mismatch between the version of readline in bash2, and the
version which is in the base system.  The bash2 port uses
readline from the base system, but it also uses an include file
from it's own version of readline.

See:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/75315

As noted in that PR, there are a number of much easier ways to
reproduce the bug.  Basically you just need to re-enter some
line which originally spanned multiple lines.  This includes
things like a 'for' loop, that you originally type in one line
at a time.

The PR includes instructions on a quick way around the problem, if
it's something that you personally trip over very often (which I
did, because I like typing in 'for' loops initially with 'echo'
commands, and then I want to re-enter them without the 'echo's
once I'm sure they will generate the correct set of commands).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu