FreeBSD port: rhythmbox-0.8.5_3

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Sep 23 14:33:14 PDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:02:57 +0200, Esaltato <esaltato at tele2.it> wrote:

> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
>> Esaltato wrote:

<snip>

>> Really, you shouldn't be using these CFLAGS.  Before reporting any
>> problems, you should rebuild using default CFLAGS (in this case, rebuild
>> gstreamer* and rhythmbox with -O -pipe, and see if you have the same
>> problems with Internet radio).
>
> But wasn't CURRENT -02 tolerant?

Well, I think it's different between kernel/base VS ports.

> I think I must have read this various times in posts. Anyway I'm only
> using -msse since last month, since I read that sse wasn't enabled with
> march athlon xp alone.

Nope, not true, athlon-xp does enable the SSE. See here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options

athlon-4, athlon-xp, athlon-mp
	Improved AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW!
	and full SSE instruction set support.

You can test it for like example:

=======================================
% cat test.c
main () {}

% gcc -v -Q -march=athlon-xp -O test.c
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728

[...]

options enabled:  -feliminate-unused-debug-types -fdefer-pop -fthread-jumps
  -fpeephole -ffunction-cse -fkeep-static-consts -freg-struct-return
  -fgcse-lm -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las -floop-optimize -fif-conversion
  -fif-conversion2 -fsched-interblock -fsched-spec -fsched-stalled-insns
  -fsched-stalled-insns-dep -fbranch-count-reg -fcprop-registers -fcommon
  -fargument-alias -fmerge-constants -fzero-initialized-in-bss -fident
  -fguess-branch-probability -fmath-errno -ftrapping-math -m80387
  -mhard-float -mno-soft-float -mieee-fp -mfp-ret-in-387
  -maccumulate-outgoing-args -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -mno-red-zone
  -mtune=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp
=======================================

Another way to check is...

/usr/src/contrib/gcc/config/i386/i386.c (1128 line):
=======================================
       {"athlon", PROCESSOR_ATHLON, PTA_MMX | PTA_PREFETCH_SSE | PTA_3DNOW
				   | PTA_3DNOW_A},
       {"athlon-tbird", PROCESSOR_ATHLON, PTA_MMX | PTA_PREFETCH_SSE
					 | PTA_3DNOW | PTA_3DNOW_A},
       {"athlon-4", PROCESSOR_ATHLON, PTA_MMX | PTA_PREFETCH_SSE | PTA_3DNOW
				    | PTA_3DNOW_A | PTA_SSE},
       {"athlon-xp", PROCESSOR_ATHLON, PTA_MMX | PTA_PREFETCH_SSE |
PTA_3DNOW
				      | PTA_3DNOW_A | PTA_SSE},
       {"athlon-mp", PROCESSOR_ATHLON, PTA_MMX | PTA_PREFETCH_SSE |
PTA_3DNOW
				      | PTA_3DNOW_A | PTA_SSE},
=======================================

All of above, I learned it from Gentoo Linux when I had it on a machine
before.

> Yes, I'm using that one too please don't kill me :-)  I've always used
> -02 -pipe and athlon xp before. What do you use? Anyway, back on track:
> I rebuilt RB with plain -0 -pipe. I did not rebuild gstreamer*, since
> amarok does not use 100% CPU if set to use gstreamer and radio. RB still
> uses 100%. Of course the large icon is still there. I cannot use a messed
> up menu like that :-)
> If you still think I have to rebuild gstreamer* since it may _really be_
> a major cause, I may take the hassle of typing that 2 lines, me lazy
> bastard :-)

Well, if you want a stable machine then I suggest you to start to use
default option...<sign> and don't use CPUTYPE too.</sign>

Cheers,
Mezz

> Esaltato

FreeBSD GNOME Team