Advice for handling of SWT dependency

Josh Elsasser josh at elsasser.org
Sat Sep 18 13:25:52 PDT 2004

I have made a port (http://www.elsasser.org/azureus.tar.gz) which
needs needs some .jar and .so files (the GTK version of SWT) installed
by the java/eclipse port.

I don't like this because it means I have to mark my port
ONLY_FOR_ARCHES=i386, I have to hard-code a version number in a
directory path into my port, and it forces the user to install a whole
IDE just to get a library that happens to be bundled with it.  The way
I have the port set up now will break if the version of eclipse is too
old or too new, or if the user chose to build it with motif instead of
gtk.

What I want to know is if there's a better way than what I've done.
Should I just forget eclipse and make a separate port of SWT?  There
are probably other programs that could use this too.

 -jre