Drop of portindex

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Sep 15 09:34:01 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 17:44, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 9.15.2004 -0400, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> >
> >Let it be, people, and stop attacking other developers.
> >
> ># Adam
>
> Obviously, we all won't agree, but I think you should be more concerned
> about the damages this did to the ports' credibility. Up until now, I have
> always "trusted" the ports -- some of that has diminished because of this
> episode.

Yes, that concerns me as well. One thing that surely can be learnt from this
episode is that ports committers (not excluding myself here) need to be more
careful about the licensing situation of software before committing it to
ports (I was told previous version of portindex had stuff like "(c) 2004
Radim Kolar, GPL"  in one source file and "public domain" in another, but no
general license attached to the whole package).

I'm not saying we need to go debian on the ports-tree and waste valuable time
doing endless licensing reviews and ridiculous debating, but things like
portindex clearly must not be committed that easily in the future.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org