portsdb and ruby bug on 4-STABLE

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 8 20:42:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 23:29, Chris wrote:
> Is there a "more correct" way over the others? I don't know. That's
> something the maintainers ought to come up with.

The "more correct" way is to fix bdb in libc.  I believe there are folks
looking at this.

In the meantime I suspect telling portupgrade to use bdb_hash is the
minimally disruptive one (doesn't require installing postgresql,
shouldn't break when libc bdb btrees are fixed, etc.)  And can be undone
later at the cost of having to rebuild the indexes again when you switch
back (which it will do automatically).

(Re installing additional software:  consider that I am currently faced
with a mess on my laptop because lots of ports autoinstalled openssl
from ports back when the base system one was affected by a security hole
--- and now I have to rebuild them all because suddenly mpd refuses to
build with openssl in ports.  Way to go, whoever came up with *this*
mess....(*)  So installing stuff from ports to work around a problem can
leave you in a bind later.)

---
* Yes, I know, there's nobody that can really be blamed for it.  Still,
it's highly annoying and frustrating when this kind of thing happens.

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon univ.         KF8NH