portsdb -u & ruby core dumps

Greg Atkinson gatkinson at rucus.ru.ac.za
Tue Sep 7 00:40:15 PDT 2004

Hi

I am also experiencing this problem, have done some digging and have come up
with this alternative:

1. Install the port "sysutils/portindex"
2. Run "portindex" and "portindexdb" as root or using sudo. (Do this in place of
running "portsdb -Ufu")

These two operations generate the INDEX files. I am open to correction but by
the look of things: "portindex" = "portsdb -U" && "portindexdb" = "portsdb -u"
(or at least something quite similar).

This solved the problem for me, I hope it does the same for you. I am able to
use "portupgrade" and the like again. Of course it doesn't solve the current
glitch in portsdb but it is an effective alternative for now. :)

Greg